Whether you live in the southeast and face potential hurricanes, the Midwest with floods and tornadoes or the West Coast with earthquakes, fire and mudslides, being prepared for such an emergency provides you security and peace of mind. Being prepared and having a plan is the positive use of energy and a great example of the use of Feng Shui.
No matter what you do in life you need to have a plan. And, part of that plan needs to include being prepared for the unexpected such as natural disasters. Not everyone will be faced with a hurricane or an earthquake but everyone at various times in their lives are faced with the unexpected. The emergency, had you prepared for it, could have perhaps been only a nuisance or an inconvenience instead of a disaster.
Just because you haven’t had a plan in the past, it is not too late to begin. Being prepared for various emergencies always starts by creating a plan. And, creating a plan always begins with you making the decision that it is important to “be prepared in advance” for most emergencies that create havoc and damage in your part of the country. I’m not talking about the flat tire type of annoyance or a fender bender accident but a true emergency that can shatter your life and reduce your home and belongings to rubble.
It takes a well thought out plan to deal with such catastrophic events in one’s life; a plan that is created during a time of calm when no threat is apparent or looming on the horizon. The time to create just such a plan is now, today. Acting today is the positive use of energy, planning for your safety is the Feng Shui way of life.
Your Personal Plan
The type of positive energy plan I am talking about is not the one you usually hear about from television broadcasts or the newspaper but one that will provide you that much needed peace and calm during and after the emergency has occurred. Most people know they need to have an adequate supply of water, canned foods, candles, plenty of batteries and a first aid kit. The following list contains the type of preparations you need to make now so your life and the lives of your loved ones can continue to run as smoothly as possible immediately following a devastating emergency.
- Purchase a small plastic or metal filing box with a handle and a sturdy latch. One that is light enough to pick up easily and carry at a moments notice. Place a copy of all of your important documents into that box such as the deed to your home, lease papers, insurance papers etc. Because it is portable you can grab it quickly and have all your legal information right at hand as needed. This will give you peace of mind.
- Make a copy of your medical records and those of your family members as well as prescriptions. Place the copies into your portable file along with copies of your medical insurance and/or Medicare information. This information could save your life.
- Make a copy of important telephone numbers so you can call loved ones to let them know you are OK. Be sure one of your loved ones has a copy of your other personal legal numbers such as your driver’s license, social security number, bank accounts etc. in case they are destroyed and you need to get them replaced. This will save you much needed time and lower your stress during an emergency.
- Make a copy of your vehicle title and registration information and put into your portable file. If you have more than one vehicle, put the information in for each one. Also include a copy of the vehicle insurance. It will be much easier to make a claim if you have all of the information required. This will put you on the fast track to filing a claim or perhaps replacing your vehicle.
- If you have pets, make sure you have a portable pet carrier to quickly move your pet(s). Also make a copy of their health records and if appropriate their rabies vaccinations. Some shelters will not allow pets but if you can get to one that does, you made need to quickly prove their health and vaccination status.
Keep your portable file in an easily accessible hiding place. Make sure all family members know where it is and put one person in charge of getting it should a natural disaster approach your area with only minutes left to act. You should be able to grab your portable filing box, your family members and pets and be out the door in a few precious moments, knowing that you have with you everything you could possibly need if that approaching disaster actually strikes.
Putting together an action preparedness emergency plan is the “positive use of energy” approach to facing any emergency of great magnitude in a few short precious minutes. Knowing ahead of time that you will have everything you could possible need in one small easy to carry box will certainly make it less stressful and faster to put together the pieces in the aftermath. None of us like to think about emergencies of this magnitude but it is well worth the advance planning. Because I have now lived through three hurricanes, an equal number of earthquakes, power outages lasting for days, blizzards and several threats of tornadoes, I speak from experience. Planning ahead definitely makes the event less stressful and easier to handle.
© Pat Heydlauff, all rights reserved 2010
Pat Heydlauff, president of Energy Design, uses Feng Shui design principles to eliminate chaos and stress at home and within oneself. More than a Feng Shui expert, Pat is a consultant and speaker who helps remove clutter and negativity while encouraging personal growth, improved relationships and prosperity. Her new book, “Feng Shui: So Easy a Child Can Do It,” shows how to achieve a better tomorrow. For information on her consulting, speaking and artwork, call: 561-408-2708.Share